Government Degree College Boniyar is a co-educational institute for higher learning. The institution aims to nurture student learning, foster faculty research and provides an atmosphere for creative activities and experiments so as to provide service to the larger community. The college was established in 2020, vide Govt. Order No. 106-He of 2019; Dated: 01/03/2019 and started its functioning in Boys Higher Secondary Boniyar. The Institution shifted to main campus Chahal, Boniyar in April 2021. The college aims to promote social and professional responsibilities among all its stakeholders. To meet these standards, the college trains the students to think critically and intuitively, to cross disciplinary boundaries, to recognize and value diverse perspectives, and to solve problems creatively and with perseverance. This is clear from our Vision & Mission Statements, Focus & Resolve. Within a short period of time, the college has succeeded in developing an attractive look by constantly improving and increasing its infrastructure. Till date the college has succeeded in constructing four pre-fabricated huts that house o6 of the classrooms, one office, a Principal’s chamber, a library, a computer lab and a common room. All the classrooms are smart class rooms with AC facility, having infrared optical interactive panels installed in them. The college library is very rich in content and material with a possession of more than 7 thousand books.
The construction of the college main building is going on at a good pace and the major works of the building have been completed and will be ready to use at the end of September 2023. The college is permanently affiliated with University of Kashmir and is also recognized under Section 2(f) of the University Grants Commission, New Delhi. Boniyar, a town-let in tehsil Boniyar, district Baramulla, is in northernmost union territory of Jammu and Kashmir. It is located 20 km towards west from district headquarters Baramulla. Major site of attraction is Lower Jhelum hydropower project at Chahla Boniyar having capacity of generating 105 MW. Lachipora wildlife Sanctuary has been established for conserving Markhoor and other vulnerable animals. The bank of the dam of Lower Jhelum Hydropower plant has become a tourist destination. There is diversity of people living in Boniyar town, with most of the people speaking Pahari. About 70-80 % people of town speak Pahari language. Left behind people mainly speak Kashmiri and Gujiri. Noorkhah, a village in Boniyar tehsil is prominent in mineral products like; Gypsum, Limestone and Ochre. Boniyar Tehsil is scholastically rich and productive since ages. This soil has a distinction in producing many prolific writers. Boniyar tehsil eventually succeeded adding a great feather in its cap with the establishment of a “Degree College”. This accomplishment is unfoundedly a great feat, and thus, all the stake holders and the people of Boniyar, in particular warrant all the appreciation and recognition thereof.
TARGETS ACHIEVED DURING 2021-2022
- Two Lavatory Blocks 04 each for boys and girls has been completed with an estimated cost of rupees 21.95 lakhs.
- 250 KVA sub-station has been established.
- All the classrooms are fully equipped with modern technology like smart digital boards.
- Browsing Centre has been established in the college with more than 25 computers having internet facility, printers; Photostat machines and other electronic accessories.
- (PMSSS) Scholarship Document Verification Facilitation Centre has been set up in the college.
- The college has purchased nearly 4000 textbooks/ reference books for college library.
Targets Achieved During 2022-23
- Completion of College main building Phase 1st.
- Construction of the pre-fabricated block with an estimated cost of rupees 24 lakhs.
- Fencing of the college premises.
- Introduction and Implementation of National Educational Policy.
- Construction Gym.
- DPR of 2nd Phase of College Main Building to be submitted to HED.